Central California Outreach Manager
Small Business Majority is seeking a full-time Central California Outreach Manager, ideally based in the Fresno area to manage our on-the-ground work in the region. This position will help develop and implement strategies to conduct outreach to small business owners, organizations, policy makers and other small business advocates. This position will focus on a variety of issues including access to capital, health care reform, retirement, workforce issues and others. The ideal candidate will have expertise in areas of outreach, public policy engagement and business community engagement and be able to work simultaneously on multiple projects. This position will report to Small Business Majority’s VP of California.
Outreach responsibilities include:
- Identify and develop strong external relationships withsmall business owners, business organizations and policymakers throughout Central California.
- Develop strategies to successfully meetspecific deliverables related to various grant funded projects on behalf of Small Business Majority in California.
- Educateand conduct outreach to small employers, the self-employedand business organizations to deliver the resources created through Small Business Majority’s Entrepreneurship Program.
- In collaboration with local chambers and business organizations, organize, plan and execute in-person presentations, webinars and other small business engagement activities.
- Inform and activate small business owners to take action to affect state and federal policy decisions by writing letters to policymakers, submitting opinion pieces to local media, testifying at legislative hearings, etc.
- Fast-trackcommunicationwith/and secure small business owners for events, legislative priorities and press events.
- Supported bySmall Business Majority’s national Small Business Engagement team, use creative techniques to help grow the small business owner network in Central California.
- Assist the VP, Californiain identify funding opportunities for Small Business Majority from philanthropic foundations, corporate giving programs, etc.
- Participate in panels, press conferences, events and possibly testify at legislative hearings.
- Enter small business and other contact information into Small Business Majority’s database in a timely and accurate manner.
- Keep detailed records of outreach efforts and work in conjunction with the VP, California and Grants Managerto present information for funder reports.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Work closely with the Vice President, California and the Vice President, Entrepreneurship to advance the expansion of SBM’s Venturize digital resource, including the growth of the Venturize matching tool in Central California and the development of the partnerships that make this possible.
- In coordination with our national Communications team pitch stories, secure media coverage and place op-eds and other pieces into business and mainstream media.
- Stay on top of critical news and developments.
- Work with Communications staff to coordinate launches and media events.
- Track news coverage on key issues, legislation, partner organizations, etc.
- Strong ability and proven-track record of building and maintaining strong professional relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
- Ability to work in a flexible, entrepreneurial environment with frequently shifting priorities and evolving internal processes and structures
- Self-starter who has ability to network with small business owners, business organizations and policymakers
- Experience in advocacy, public policy and political organizing, a plus
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- 3 years outreach or public engagement experience, work within the business community preferred
- Collaborative in nature with ability to work remotely in conjunction with team members across the country
- Strong sense of accountability; driven to meet and exceed expectations
- Regional travel required throughout Central California
- Successful experience fundraising from corporate and/or philanthropic institutions, a plus
- Available for periodic travel throughout California and attend key external and internal meetings (including SBM’s annual 3-day retreat)
- Must be able to work from a home office
- Bi-lingual (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin) preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].