Economic Agenda: Healthcare
Small Business Majority has created an economic blueprint for lawmakers and government leaders that will strengthen our economy, create jobs and solidify its base, small businesses. The recommendations range from action on access to capital, taxes, healthcare, infrastructure, freelance economy, minimum wage, workforce training, immigration, clean energy and exports, and are all tied to creating economic opportunities for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
Implementation of the Affordable Care Act has removed a significant impediment to entrepreneurship. Healthcare coverage is no longer tied to a job working for someone else. Rather, entrepreneurs can pursue their dream knowing that they will have access to affordable healthcare coverage. Additionally, small business owners now have more options to provide affordable coverage options for their employees, allowing them to compete for skilled workers. But, we must continue to strengthen the ACA, instead of chipping away at it and delaying implementation of key provisions, by:
- Ensuring the transition to expand the small group market to include firms with 50-99 employees is smooth and proceeds on time and in accordance with the law.
- Fully implementing employee choice in all of the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) marketplaces.
- Simplifying and expanding the small business healthcare tax credit.
- Continuing to support and fully fund maximum outreach efforts to communicate the benefits of the individual healthcare insurance marketplaces for those businesses and self-employed people who are not in a position to purchase employer-sponsored coverage.
- Passing healthcare tax equity for the self-employed.