Southern California Outreach Manager – Inland Empire
Small Business Majority is seeking a full-time Southern California Outreach Manager based in the Inland Empire to manage our on-the-ground work in the Inland Empire and Central California. Bilingual efficiency in either Spanish, Cantonese or Mandarin preferred. This position will help develop and implement strategies to conduct outreach to small business owners, organizations, policy makers and other small business advocates. This position will focus on a variety of issues including access to capital, health care reform, workforce issues and others. The ideal candidate will have expertise in areas of outreach, public policy engagement and business community engagement and be able to work simultaneously on multiple projects. This position will report to Small Business Majority’s California Deputy Director.
Outreach responsibilities include:
- Identify and develop strong external relationships withsmall business owners, business organizations and policymakers throughout the Inland Empire and Central California.
- Develop strategies to successfully meetspecific deliverables related to various grant funded projects on behalf of Small Business Majority in California
- Educateand conduct outreach to small employers, the self-employedand business organizations to deliver the resources created through Small Business Majority’s Entrepreneurship Program.
- In collaboration with local chambers and business organizations, organize, plan and execute in-person presentations, webinars and other small business engagement activities.
- Inform and activate small business owners to take action to affect state and federal policy decisions by writing letters to policymakers, submitting opinion pieces to local media, testifying at legislative hearings etc.
- Fast-trackcommunicationwith/and secure small business owners for events, legislative priorities and press events
- Supported bySmall Business Majority’s national Small Business Engagement team, use creative techniques to help grow the small business owner network in the Inland Empire and Central California
- Assist the California Deputy Director in identify funding opportunities for Small Business Majority from philanthropic foundations, corporate giving programs, etc.
- Participate in panels, press conferences, events and possibly testify at legislative hearings
- Enter small business and other contact information into Small Business Majority’s database in a timely and accurate manner
- Keep detailed records of outreach efforts and work in conjunction with the Deputy California Director and Grants Managerto present information for funder reports
Additional responsibilities may include:
- In coordination with our national Communications team pitch stories, secure media coverage and place op-eds and other pieces into business and mainstream media
- Stay on top of critical news and developments
- Work with Communications staff to coordinate launches and media events
- Track news coverage on key issues, legislation, partner organizations, etc.
- Strong ability and proven-track record of building and maintaining strong professional relationships with a variety of external stakeholders
- Bi-lingual (Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin) preferred
- Three years minimum of outreach or public engagement experience working within the business community
- Ability to work in a flexible, entrepreneurial environment with frequently shifting priorities and evolving internal processes and structures
- Self-starter who has ability to network with small business owners, business organizations and policymakers
- Experience in advocacy, public policy and political organizing, a plus
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Collaborative in nature with ability to work remotely in conjunction with team members across the country
- Strong sense of accountability; driven to meet and exceed expectations
- Regional travel required throughout Southern and Central California
- Successful experience fundraising from corporate and/or philanthropic institutions, a plus
- Available for periodic travel throughout California and attend key external and internal meetings (including SBM’s annual 3-day retreat)
- Must be able to and comfortable with working from a home office
We are an EO Employer.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org